[arch-devops] planet.archlinux.org future

Jelle van der Waa jelle at vdwaa.nl
Sun Feb 10 10:41:39 UTC 2019

Hi All,

Last night I made a poor attempt at porting planet.archlinux.org to
Python3, as it's the last Python 2 only application in our infra (I
hope?). Running 2to3 did no miracles, since the code is extremely badly
written and also includes old vendored dependencies. The actual software
which powers this feed aggregator website is dead since 2006. [1]

This leaves us with a few options:
* Blindly ignore and keep using Python2
* Port the code, this will be painful and you'll discover that out of
  the 3000 loc we need ~ 10%?
* Switch to an alternative, there are a few and I haven't checked at how
  nice they are but I've found. [2] [3] [4]
* Write something yourself, it shouldn't be that hard to write a simple
  (secure) planet feed aggregator. All it has to do is, @nightly fetch
  all rss keep some state, generate HTML.

I've checked the situation in Debian and they also seem to use "planet
Venus". So we could contact what their plans are :-) [5]

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_(software)
[2] http://feedreader.github.io
[3] https://github.com/toolness/planet-badges
[4] https://pypi.org/project/pelican-planet/