[arch-devops] Another attempt at (geolocation-aware) loadbalancing of our mirrors

Florian Pritz bluewind at xinu.at
Fri Oct 25 11:03:55 UTC 2019

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 08:18:37PM +0200, Thore Bödecker via arch-devops <arch-devops at lists.archlinux.org> wrote:
> My current workaround is to hardcode ger.mirror.pkgbuild.com as the
> mirror-url in my sync script.

Personally I'm perfectly fine with this solution, but I don't travel a
lot. I can see why others might want a more generic mirror in their
config.

> Or we could just add the DNS service to our existing machines,
> given that we already have multiple servers up and running.

Sounds like a good solution. A DNS server shouldn't use a lot of
resources so having dedicated machines seems like an overkill.

> On the other hand the BIND zonefiles (which are just textfiles), are
> way easier to setup and would fit right in with our ansible setup.
> Seeing that the current nginx geoip stuff is configured with ansible
> anyways, I personally think it would not be cumbersome to manage that
> one mirror.pkgbuild.com child zone within our ansible repo.

I like this much more than the postgres version. This way we also get
the git history of the zone file for free.

> I suppose the whole PowerDNS stuff could easily be condensed into a
> single ansible role and I would offer my assistance on that as I've done
> my fair share of ansible stuff in the past already.

Sven set up the current geomirror so maybe he has some more thoughts or
wants to merge this?

Florian