[arch-devops] Diskspace getting low on orion or let's get a bigger archive server

Sven-Hendrik Haase svenstaro at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 02:19:33 UTC 2020

On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 at 21:39, Jelle van der Waa <jelle at vdwaa.nl> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We are running awfully low on diskspace on orion and need to start
> migrating the archive away ASAP as we can't keep hosting it on orion.
>
> The biggest offender is the archive which seems to be requiring around ~
> 1TB per year, this might be due to the nature of how we archive as
> heftig pointed out we could use btrfs snapshots however no one has
> stepped up and I don't expect anyone to.
>
> I would propose to get us a new server, an AX51 which has 2 x 8TB disks
> which allows us to grow the archive. Currently we pay 35 / month for
> orion which has 2 x 3 TB disks.
>
> The hard question is if we tackle multiple problems at once and make
> this server only for the archive which might be tricky as it's now part
> of dbscripts to archive packages with "db-archive" which means we have
> to migrate our repos, svn server and sourceballs as that all sadly
> expects to be present on the machine.
>
> This would leave orion left with mail handling and hefur (for the arch
> iso torrent webseeds) which should be moved to a separate vps both
> shouldn't require a too big of a vps.
>
> https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/ex52-nvme
>
> Please respond ASAP, as we don't have too much time and Hetzner only
> deploys from Monday -Friday.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Jelle van der Waa

I'll reiterate the suggestion I made before: Let's get an SX62 and never
worry about the archive space again. It's 10€ more. If we want to get it
fast, we'll have to order it from the Helsinki location as we can expect
long waiting times right now in their German locations (up to 10 workdays
for the SX62 according to them). With your AX51 suggestion, we'll have an
effective 8TB (RAID1) for 54€/m (Helsinki location) but with the SX62 we'll
have an effective 30TB (RAID5) for 64€/m (Helsinki location). It seems like
a much better bang for the buck to me.