[arch-devops] Let's change our primary backup to a managed storage box

Sven-Hendrik Haase svenstaro at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 20:38:29 UTC 2020

Hey all,

I want to suggest we change our primary backup box to a managed box,
namely a BX60 from Hetzner [0] for 40€/m with 10TB capacity. We
currently have a SB35 with 2x3TB in a RAID1. The current box (vostok) is
getting full and is sitting at 20% capacity remaining.

The storage box supports Borg and so it's unlikely that we'll have to
change our backup scheme.

Why a BX60 and not a BX50 even though the capacity would currently
suffice? I'd like to also start backing up the archive. The archive will
become more relevant in Arch as reproducible builds gain more popularity
and I think keeping the archive alive and well is an important part of
that. We currently do not back up the archive for capacity reasons but
we should start doing that. BX50 with its 5TB puts us too close to our
projected needs (roughly 2.3TB (current effective backup size) + 2.3TB
(archive)).

Advantages of a BX60:
- Less stuff to manage as Hetzner will handle disk failures and updates
for us
- More redundancy (FAQ says it can tolerate multiple disk failures while
we can currently only handle a single disk failure)
- Much higher capacity (about 3.4x as much)

Disadvantages:
- 10€ more per month
- We'll have to migrate (though probably pretty easy to do as the backup
stuff is pretty nicely ansibled)
- Only 10 connections allowed at once (workable for us but worth mentioning)
- We currently have no operating experience with storage boxes from Hetzner

What do you think?

Cheers,
Sven

[0] https://www.hetzner.de/storage/storage-box/bx60