[arch-devops] Junior DevOps application - Leonidas Spyropoulos

Leonidas Spyropoulos artafinde at archlinux.org
Tue Apr 19 18:22:29 UTC 2022

Hi,

My name is Leonidas Spyropoulos (known as artafinde / inglor on many
platforms) and I'm a Trusted User at Arch Linux [1]. I'm applying to
become a Junior DevOps in the devops Arch Linux team. I've been running
Arch Linux from circa 2007 daily with dual boot in the old days and VFIO
now for gaming.

I've been contributing in open-source projects [2][3] and in Arch Linux
for about a year or so (when I asked in #archlinux-devops for a gitlab
account) with patches/MRs for infrastructure, work on keycloak, aurweb
and more recently a tool for exporting gitlab metrics for prometheus [4][5].

I've been using ansible, terraform, vault and jenkins at work and
recently changed to gitlab so I think I could apply some of this
knowledge to Arch Linux infrastructure. Furthermore I got experience in
Cloud infrastructure (AWS) and Kubernetes cluster along with private
Docker registry (in AWS) from both devops and software development point
of view.

My interest in DevOps team is the admin part and automation. I've been
having personal server(s) [6] for years now and I was part of the admin
team at my previous job. I think automation and infrastructure-as-code
is the way to manage infrastructure now days and although we lacked the
automation at my previous job I very well understand how crucial things
could be for others and the responsibilities which come moderating
public facing servers. Additionally I think I can assist on the mundane
tasks the devops team is currently dealing with because for me it would
be a new interesting challenge.

Sponsors:
- Evangelos Foutras (foutrelis)
- Kristian Klausen (klausenbusk)

[1]: https://archlinux.org/people/trusted-users/#artafinde
[2]: https://github.com/inglor
[3]: https://gitlab.archlinux.org/artafinde
[4]: https://gitlab.archlinux.org/artafinde/gitlab-exporter
[6]: https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/infrastructure/-/issues/14
[5]: Personal "servers" could be from as early as 2004 a headless
Pentium 3 with debian to currently 4x VPSs and an Unraid at home

Regards,

--
Leonidas Spyropoulos
PGP: 59E43E106B247368