[arch-events] [arch-dev-public] Er.... ArchCon

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 06:19:00 EDT 2008

2008/8/20 Dusty Phillips <buchuki at gmail.com>:
> Some things that will need discussion include:
>
> * Location
> * Funding
> * Events
> * Date
> * Number of Days
> * Power, Wiring, and Wireless
>
> So here's the deal:
>
> If I can get several people who seem to be committed to making
> something this big a success, I will start separate threads for each
> of these items and more as they come to mind (or more experienced
> conference creators bring them up) and we can start discussing,
> delegating, designing, and planning. But I can't do this by myself
> (unless someone wants to pay my salary for about three months), so I
> need more than just "I might be interested" or the much worse
> enthusiasm without contribution (which is quite uncommon in Arch =)
>
> Hope to hear more!

One of proposals was to make it at the same time&place as some Linux conference.
FrOSCon and Linux Bier Wanderung look like great candidates.
The first one was liked by our devs that took part in it (so I think
they can describe pros & cons),
the second is nice because it always takes part in some beautiful
place in Europe.
Links: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Linux_conferences

The positives in this are that there will be infrastructure already
(but when ArchCon will become more popular - we may do independent event).

However if someone has a good plan how to organize ArchCon by
ourselves only - please share.
The problem is that organization somewhat depends on the number of
people that are going to be there,
but on the other hand this number depends on where/when/how it will be
organized...

I think people who organized some local community meetings can share
their experience.
Ukrainian community had only one such meeting, it was organized during
FOSS Expo in Kyiv in 2007,
the largest distance between homes of community members who gathered
there was >1200km, :-)
unfortunately most of us were able to be there only one day, but it
was enought to listen to some interesting
conference reports, talk about Arch and life, take photos and drink
some beer. :-)

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)