[arch-events] Archcon: Canadian prepay simcards

Dusty Phillips dusty at archlinux.ca
Sun Jul 4 09:59:49 EDT 2010

Hi Dieter,

I actually have a telus sim card laying around that you can have. The
rates in Canada are outrageous:

http://www.telusmobility.com/en/AB/prepaid/rates.shtml

Probably the cheapest company is wind mobile:

http://www.windmobile.ca/

They're new and are undercutting everyone right now. They're probably
the only company with an acceptable prepaid data rate; most of them
are like $30/megabyte (but they advertise as 3 cents per kilobyte).

The other major companies are:

http://bell.ca/
http://rogers.ca/
http://koodomobile.com/
http://fido.ca/  (I use them, personally)
http://speakout7eleven.ca/

For all of them, you have to find out if your phone operates at the
same frequency as the network in question, which can be tricky. I
believe wind mobile operates on a different frequency from all the
rest, because they just bought the band about a year ago.

Most of the above companies sell sim cards in any convenience store or
supermarket, so it wouldn't be hard to get your hands on one once you
get here. You can also get a cheap throw-away phone at some of them,
if your phone doesn't work here.

Dusty

On 4 July 2010 02:59, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter at plaetinck.be> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm considering to buy a prepay SIM card in Toronto.
> This should make it cheaper for me to get in touch with you guys
> (Dusty, Ricardo, Dan, Loui, ..)
> Unless all of you have voip/skype on your phone ;) (my phone supports
> it, but I never tried it)
> And also I would have some data traffic to use google maps and stuff,
> the ability to irc and email might also have benefits for communication.
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> Dieter

Ask me about custom python and web development services.