[arch-events] Archcon: Canadian prepay simcards

Loui Chang louipc.ist at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 16:49:26 EDT 2010

On Sun 04 Jul 2010 19:42 +0200, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 07:59:49 -0600
> Dusty Phillips <dusty at archlinux.ca> wrote:
> > Probably the cheapest company is wind mobile:
> >
> > http://www.windmobile.ca/
> >
> > They're new and are undercutting everyone right now. They're probably
> > the only company with an acceptable prepaid data rate; most of them
> > are like $30/megabyte (but they advertise as 3 cents per kilobyte).
>
> Hmm. I only find "plans" on the wind mobile site, no simple prepay
> cards.

I understand that prepay gets the same plans as postpay with Wind, and
there's no setup fee. The n900 will also work on their network.

The whole cell phone industry is really pretty lame in Canada. If you do
get data, it's likely that a lot of ports are blocked.

Wind would be the best quick option that I know of - but I'm not an
expert on this. You should definitely go to a shop and ask about it.

It seems, you could get setup on Wind for $35 depending on your data
needs (50MB?).