[arch-general] problem compiling for i586 with new makepkg

Karolina Lindqvist karolina.lindqvist at kramnet.se
Sat Dec 15 02:00:19 EST 2007

lördag 15 december 2007 skrev Aaron Griffin:

> Why would we put sed hooks in to fix it when you
> can...just...run...sed yourself? Arch _does_ have the whole "helper
> scripts are dumb" type philosophy...
> Why would we provide one command (makepkg) to replace one command (sed)?

Well, because I do a "makeworld". I can of course patch, which is simple with
archlinux. The problem is just upgrades, when I need to apply the same
patches manually again, or the patches disappear.

Then of course, I could do a script that goes through the whole abs tree, and
inserts "i586" if it is not there. But that makes me wonder what purpose the
arch= tag have at all?

> I can't recall what -w did. Regardless, it was removed because Dan and
> I wanted to remove it. These things are usually covered for a while on
> the pacman-dev list, and parties with a vested interest in certain
> things would benefit from joining the discussion there. Perhaps, given
> valid reasons, we would have kept the option (again, I have no idea
> what it did).

-w redirects output to somewhere else than the standard place, i.e. overrides
PKGDEST.
Now instead I have to comment out PKGDEST=/home/packages in makepkg.conf and
remember to always set it before makepkg instead. It also works, but I
thought -w was very convenient and used it a lot.

I guess I am going to maintain this, for my own usage, for quite a while now,
since I have a machine that is going to run it. It appears that a few others
also quietly maintain archi586 the same way.

Karolina