[arch-general] problem compiling for i586 with new makepkg

Karolina Lindqvist karolina.lindqvist at kramnet.se
Sun Dec 16 02:01:47 EST 2007

söndag 16 december 2007 skrev Mister Dobalina:

> > That will find every PKGBUILD and add i586 to the
> > packages that don't
> > already have it.  Yay!
>
> No good, many PKGBUILDs have stuff like
>
> if [ "$CARCH" = "i686" ]; then
>   << do something >>
> fi
>
> in the build() section, where the something done is
> usually something you want done in the i586 case too.
>
> Better to straight out replace i686 by i586 in the
> whole PKGBUILD.
<<<cut>>>
Actually, I added i586 when I did it the last time, one year ago, with the
result that it was practically hopeless to diff with the original, when doing
an update with "abs". So this time, I just ignore to put in i586, making it
easier with upgrades.

I still question the whole purpose of the arch= tag, if it means that it
is "certified" by the developers. All files downloaded with abs are certified
by the developers, so what is the big deal? And makeworld does not exclude
building packages that are not for the architecture.
And then, what does it mean for AUR, if everyone are forced to put the tag in,
but now not meaning that it is certified by the developers anymore?

I think a better usage would be that the package is tried and works and is
meaningful on that architecture.

> Might also want to do
>
> grep -R i686 /var/abs/*
>
> just to be sure there are no i686's hiding in .install
> files.

I did that, and there is some wierd stuff in some obscure packages in extra
and community. Like in one case, a patch for an obsolete version of gcc.
I just leave that out for now.

kernel26 is a special case, since it has conditionals for architecture.

Karolina