[arch-general] Packages with non free licenses

w9ya at qrparci.net w9ya at qrparci.net
Tue Dec 18 14:41:56 EST 2007

O.K.... you asked for people's relevant comments. Here's mine;

Ya know I really am as concerned as the next guy fella or gal about
licenses being adhered to.

Nonetheless, IF there is no clearly defined license especially when no
license document is extent on stuff that is meant to be used freely (as
long as it is not for commercial distribution), then why shouldn't arch
allow for a maintained package of these fonts.

Or put another way, I am hoping that this discussion is simply for the
purpose of finding a suitable way to deal with the license field in some
or a specific PKGBUILD. <- And I hope we are not talking about some purity
clickish deal like Debian and other distros that are against this or that
because it does not fit into some preconceived notion about there being a
NEED for a specific kind of license and/or a NEED for providing a specific
kind of licensing document. Those kinds of things always seem to end up
satisfying no one but a small number of zealots.

Arch has always been about a clean way for a user to get something useful
AND desirable. Let's not go off half-cocked on a wild goose chase and end
up not pleasing people by throwing good packages into the trash heap or
making things complicated, especially if there is NOT a good reason to do
so.

In this case, I would humbly suggest that a special license file named
"not _extent" be made , with some simple text that says that "No license
document can be found, as such, and that this is otherwise approved for
non-commercial use by the original author/distributor." .

If I have offended anyone. O.k. I can live with that.

If I have misunderstood anyone, O.k. I can live with that also and I am
sorry.

I just hope we can leave packages as they are, with perhaps a simple
solution, without a felt need to move something to some other place
without a DECENT reason to do so.

BTW, I would not have written this little note, but my hair on the back
of my neck tends to stand up when we start with some suggestions about
license this and that, and moving packages and so forth, and more than a
couple of emails start up on this kind of thing. <- In this specific case
NO ONE's license is being violated and NO ONE is being taken advantage of.

Very best regards;

Bob Finch

eternal.)