[arch-general] Packages with non free licenses

Grigorios Bouzakis grbzks at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 12:39:45 EST 2007

> BTW, *IF* arch is putting this on the 'core' cd , then yeah, we should
> remove it, but the last time I did a full up archinstall, it was NOT on
> the cd, so I am willing to bet that we can remove it easily enough too if
> it has been added into the install cd.

Archlinux currently offers two installation media types. The FTP and the
Core CD. Although the extra repo isnt included in either, the possibility
of providing a DVD as an alternative installation method has been
discussed a lot in the past and hasnt been dropped completely as far as i know.

> You already said above that this package would comply/conform if a copy of
> the license is included. I am glad you found said license. Let's just
> include it and be done with things.

No, that is just one part of it. The license is needed anyway for the package
to stay in repos and was bound to be added sooner or later.
What is more important in my opinion, but havent got the knowledge nor the time
at this point to investigate further is whether, just like the codecs
package, a similar or maybe even better behaviour can be achieved by the
use of open source fonts.

I thought, or better yet hoped, that somebody more relevant than me,
who actually have experience, and deal with fonts on a daily basis post on this thread
and allow the conversation to go further. Maybe i was wrong.
Since the above hasnt happened yet i see absolutely no point in
continuing this either.

Personally i will try to investigate this  when i have the time and if i
get any worth posting results, i will let u know.

Greg