[arch-general] problem compiling for i586 with new makepkg

Attila attila at invalid.invalid
Wed Dec 19 13:53:48 EST 2007

On Mittwoch, 19. Dezember 2007 19:07 Jan de Groot wrote:

> Why is checking strict wrong? If the official name of an architecture is
> i686, and we make all packages have the i686 extension, why would aai686
> be allowed then?

Sorry, i want only to show why i586 don't works and i decide to make an
example with aa686. This was a bad choice of mine.

> We could decide to use x86 as architecture, when an x86_64-only package
> doesn't work on 32bit, does that mean that the check should pass because
> x86 is in the architecture name?

No, you be right and i only want suggest to have 'yes' and 'no' as now and the
new one 'unsupported'. Perhaps this can stand in the makepkg.conf as at
example UNSUPPORTED_ARCH="". Than people as Karolina can decide to write
there i586 in this array and makepkg prints an warning on the console but
don't stop.

Again sorry, if my English is too bad for explaining what i want to say. And
it is clear that you can't support all possible platforms.

See you, Attila