[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] initscripts changes

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Mon Apr 7 10:38:39 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 11:15 -0300, Rodrigo Coacci wrote:
> I believe the missing question is: what is the rationale beyond this
> decision of putting the /dev/pts out of fstab? Besides the
> aforementioned robustness (which at some point I tend to agree), what
> else would be the technically benefits? If for nothing else than
> "stopping the user to shoot his foot", I believe this should not be
> done, as I need to agree that it hurts Arch Way. Also as pointed
> before, it may create problems with chroot (if I understood
> correctly).

chroots need a proper setup anyways. Before I enter my chroots, I use
bind mounts to do so. Mounting a new devpts filesystem inside a chroot
in my case makes screen fail to work, as it can't attach to the terminal
my chroot is running in. As rc.sysinit isn't executed for chroots, I
don't see a problem here.