[arch-general] kernel26 2.6.25-1 enters [testing]

Dream Team dreamteam69 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 13:23:21 EDT 2008

Le Sunday 20 April 2008 19:07:11 Dimitrios Apostolou, vous avez écrit :
> Dream Team wrote:

> >> As far as I know, the mactel patch is required for some hardware support
> >> on intel-based mac systems and contains important fixes. This does not
> >> seem like one patch too many, but an essential one for all users who,
> >> like me, have mac hardware.
> >> I do understand your wish to reduce the number of patches, but throwing
> >> out patches required for support of important hardware does not seem the
> >> way to go to me.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Erwin
> >
> > I also am using arch on my mac, and I find this essential and should not
> > be removed if you find 2.6.25 compatible patchs (I am sure that they will
> > come out in not so many time)
> >
> > Arnaud
>
> Hi, I would suggest to test the new kernel on your mac before
> complaining, perhaps it supports it better now. And if after that much
> time this patch is necessary for such common hardware and hasn't been
> imported upstream, I think you should contact the LKML.
>

> Dimitris

It seems that many patches have already been commited into vanilla kernel, but
that these patches got minor starting as 2.6.24 ... Now they only add stuff
like keyboard keys support and other stuff. I'm not concerned by most of the
corrections of this patchset, but macbook users might experience problems
with vanilla 2.6.25. (I don't have a macbook for testing)

I think they could make a kernel module for these things, but this is out of
topic here. The point is that kernel26-ice isn't patched for intel macs,
killing some keys on my keyboard but that's all. I really don't know if these
kind of patches should be kept or become part of some AUR package maintained
by users ...

Anyway, the point is that they are now outdated, so they can't be in new Arch
kernel.

Arnaud