[arch-general] Arch64 specific mailing list?

pyther pyther at pyther.net
Wed Apr 23 20:25:22 EDT 2008

> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 04:02:51PM -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 4:09 PM, Grigorios Bouzakis <grbzks at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >  i am getting my new shinny Quad Core desktop machine tomorrow and i am
>> >  thinking of running x86_64 on that machine.
>> >  I never really did bother getting familiar with that part of Archlinux
>> >  until now since i didnt have a reason to. Browsing the wiki and forum
>> >  today made me realise that there is no x86_64 specific mailing list.
>> >  There is only the arch-ports one but this one seems to be mostly PPC
>> >  related.
>> >  Is there any chance of having a seperate mailing list for x86_64 any
>> >  time soon? Adding the i686 to the arch-general description too & even
>> >  renaming the list to archlinux-i686 or similar would imho be great too
>> >  since we all agree the x86_64 port is supported officially and is here
>> >  to stay.
>> >  Yes, i know it has been renamed not too long ago but i think its a good
>> >  idea.
>>
>> Why would we do this? The point of having two architectures in one
>> distribution is to MERGE things, not further separate them.
>
> Well, as i said i dont have any experience with x86_64 and maybe i
> should have written the above after using it for some time. What urged
> me to do this was that ive witnessed many times users asking Arch64
> specific questions here and there that were replied as if they were
> using i686. So i thought it would be better having a mailing list for
> each architecture. If all 3 of you (Andy, Aaron and Pierre) agree that
> there is no need you most likely know best.
>
> Greg

The mostly likely know best? No, they do know best!
I haven't really seen too many Arch64 specific questions here.

It may have made little sense when the project first got space on the archlinux server, but especially now most
programs work the same way on 32/64bit. If there is a problem it is mostly within compiling a package. There was a
point in time where I had arch 32 on one machine, arch 64 on another, and I noticed practically no difference.

~Pyther