[arch-general] rotate pacman log?

Dale Blount dale at archlinux.org
Thu Aug 7 16:49:54 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 15:42 -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 3:38 PM, David Rosenstrauch <darose at darose.net> wrote:
> > I noticed that the pacman log doesn't get rotated.  Seems like it should, as
> > it could get rather big over time.  Any particular reason why the package
> > doesn't provide a /etc/logrotate.d/ script by default?
>
> I don't see a problem with that. Probably a good idea too. If you want
> to provide a file for pacman, I'm sure Dan would be happy to include
> it in the arch package.

My only request here is that it saves at least a years worth of updates
by default.  If something breaks on my system and I don't notice it for
a few months, I can't tell if an update broke it or not.

I have a 828Kb pacman.log from a 5 year old install.  Granted I don't
-Syu as often as I should, but it still seems manageable at many times
that on modern hardware.

Dale