[arch-general] rotate pacman log?

Attila attila at invalid.invalid
Fri Aug 8 01:37:17 EDT 2008

On Donnerstag, 7. August 2008 23:05 Dan McGee wrote:

> I'm actually with Dale here. I find it nice to go all the way back to
> the "beginning of time" with my install so I can see exactly what may
> have pulled in a now unneeded dep, etc. I just used this on my Eee
> yesterday to remove unnecessary packages originally pulled in by
> OpenOffice (hsqldb). I would rather old logs never get deleted; but
> even more I would rather the file never get touched.

You can archive your old logfiles. This at example be my settings
in /etc/logrotate.conf for doing this:

olddir /var/log/archiv
rotate 2
size +4096k
compress

You can also use a bigger rotate with a less size. But i think this all is a
very much personal thing because some wants uncompressed logs archivs, some
wants all in one file and so on.-)

> 1) pacman.log would return to only being upgrade/install/remove messages.
> 2) another log file would be added that contained the verbose stuff.
> pacman_messages.log or something.
> 3) pacman.log never rotates/deletes.
> 4) pacman_messages.log rotates/deletes.

Because i use rotate together with compress my favorite is 2).

See you, Attila