[arch-general] Anyway to revert back to KDE 3.5.9? (Don't Panic)

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Mon Aug 11 12:07:34 EDT 2008

Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> On Saturday 09 August 2008 20:38:27 Attila wrote:
>> Or to say it other words: The packages be so good as possible and there is
>> nothing what can be done more or better. But for me kde user and fan of the
>> kicker the actual panel is more a joke than something what i want to use.
>
> Could you please elaborate? I am curious to know what is so wrong.

I'll bite.

* *All* my kde3 settings are gone and I'd need to manually port them
over to KDE4.
* The KDE3 color schemes are gone.  I'd need to manually port my colors
over to KDE4.
* The widget style I like to use is gone.  The ones provided are not
very similar.
* The window decorations I like to use are gone.  The ones provided are
not very similar.
* Kpersonalizer is gone.  I liked this util very much, as it allowed me
in one fell swoop to set all my shortcut keys to emulate Windows.
Without it I need to manually set all my shortcut keys.

And that's just what I was able to come up with in a 1-hour test drive.

Bottom line:  I was faced with the prospect of many hours of tweaking
just to get my desktop back to the way I like it.  And there didn't seem
to be any compelling benefits to KDE4 to offset this aggravation set.

I'm more than open to hearing counter-arguments as to why someone thinks
it's worth the switch.

DR