[arch-general] Anyway to revert back to KDE 3.5.9? (Don't Panic)

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Mon Aug 11 13:09:28 EDT 2008

Attila wrote:
> On Montag, 11. August 2008 18:07 David Rosenstrauch wrote:
>
>> I'm more than open to hearing counter-arguments as to why someone thinks
>> it's worth the switch
>
> I'm frustated as you but i must say that there was no way for the arch devs to
> make it right for everyone. Imagine that there is no kde4 in the repos and
> than you will read a lot of "i want kde4" wishes instead of "i want my kde3
> back".

I have no qualms with what the devs did.  KDE4 is out, and so the Arch
devs have to upgrade to it.  (And in fact, IMO, they even were pretty
cautious about the upgrade, waiting several months until 4.1 was
released before upgrading.)  Arch is a distro that uses "bleeding edge"
software, and we all know that going in.  And if somebody wants to use
old packages, the onus is on them to make it happen.

My qualms are with the KDE4 software itself.  I'm not saying it's bad.
(In fact, I'll admit that I've barely even tried any of the new
functionality.)  It's just that it's a very big a change to a lot of
important desktop functionality that I rely on, and would be too
disruptive for me to switch over right now.

I probably could get used to it over time, though, which is why I'd like
to be able to install KDE 3 and 4 simultaneously, and so be able to
switch into KDE4 and kick the tires every now and then, without having
to completely wipe KDE3 off my system.

The state I'm in now (keeping KDE3 via a number of IgnorePkg directives
in my pacman.conf) is not sustainable long-term, so I'm going to have to
get a bit more proactive soon and come up with some solution.

DR