[arch-general] Anyway to revert back to KDE 3.5.9? (Don't Panic)

Attila attila at invalid.invalid
Tue Aug 12 01:36:27 EDT 2008

On Montag, 11. August 2008 19:56 Shridhar Daithankar wrote:

> I agree and disagree.

Me too.-)) At first i want to say that i mean more the step from kde1 to kde2
and from kde2 to kde3.

> The ~.kde has been amazingly stable for me as far as kde3.x series has gone.
> My home dir has gone from mandrake 8 to slackware12 over the years and
> across the distro. Not a problem, not a single setting lost.

I have not had the same positive result as i change from opensuse to
archlinux. But it is nice to hear that this was possible in your case.

> With KDE4.1, it is ~/.kde4, and as pointed out in another mail by DR, it is
> incompatible. (Which is ok. The base desktop is not finished, I wouldn't
> expect a migration utility to up before that). Worse is both ~/.kde and
> ~/.kde4 are used.

Sorry, but if the desktop is not finished than this is the same as it should
not be released. That is something what i can't understand for the kde devs:
They say 4.1 is ready to use but they don't trust their own work and use
another config directory. But okay this is now the reality and it is too late
to change something.

> I kept ~/.kde for importing stuff as-and-when required and deleted it after
> few days. Log back in and my kmail config is empty. Just wow..

Thanks for the warning to save the .kde dir on more than one place.

See you, Attila