[arch-general] Anyway to revert back to KDE 3.5.9? (Don't Panic)

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Tue Aug 12 11:18:56 EDT 2008

Attila wrote:
> On Montag, 11. August 2008 20:38 David Rosenstrauch wrote:
>
> I have had the same feeling as you and take first a look at it in my arch64
> test partition. If you have such a possibility too or a virtual machine with
> archlinux than give it a try.
>
>> * They build break KDE into small, modular packages, instead of just
>> using the packaging supplied by upstream KDE.  I use most of the apps
>> that KDE supplies, and so don't care about the modularity.
>
> In the first moment as i only read this on their homepage i think the same as
> you but now i must admit that i enjoy removing some of this little apps which
> i never use.-)
>
>> * They patch the upstream KDE packages in a number of ways.  I strongly
>> prefer to use packages that are as unpatched and plain vanilla from
>> upstream as possible.
>
> The patches been well documented and you can browse through their svn
> repository. I can understand you again and the only thing what i can say is
> that i don't have the feeling that they have useless patches.
>
> Still again this be only my minds and no commands.-)
>
> See you, Attila

I took the plunge and switched over my 3 arch boxes to kdemod3
yesterday.  Seems pretty solid, and as I chose to install the
kdemod3-vanilla option, it's probably about as close to stock kde3 as
I'm going to get.  There's still one or two little customization tweaks
that they've added that I'm not too fond of, but they're pretty minor,
and I'll probably be able to find a workaround.

Definitely major kudos to the kdemod guys for all the hard work on
making this available to everyone.

DR