[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] info files / documentation

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 04:25:52 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 4:57 PM, Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de> wrote:

> I think there was no rule decided. Afair we wanted to let it up to the
> maintainer if he wants to add info files and further documentation when
> he thinks it's helpful. I don't use the info command at all but could
> also live with enabling all documentation. We ship headers in every
> case so why not all possible content upstream developers install by
> default.
>
> Maybe we should put a clear statement into the Arch packaging standards
> wiki page.

The condition for letting it up to the maintainer was "if the docs are
too big for a given package".
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2008-April/005913.html

A side-note about the future docs handling in makepkg 3.3 :

There was only one example of docs insanely big, and it was not info
docs, but gtk-docs :
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2008-April/005923.html

Allan also recently found out that info docs were not compressed:
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2008-August/012780.html
For fixing this, he decided to have man pages and info pages treated
exactly the same, which makes perfectly sense and is fully supported
by Dan and I.
So with makepkg 3.3, the info pages will always be included and compressed :
http://projects.archlinux.org/?p=pacman.git;a=commitdiff;h=7865fb9af487f7ca043cab6e90c3aee0863e285b

The !docs option is still useful and needed for removing the really
big docs like gtk-docs in the glib2 package.