[arch-general] Someone shoot sergej

Angel Velásquez angvp at archlinux.com.ve
Mon Dec 1 05:45:19 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Daniel <danstemporaryaccount at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> On Sunday 30 November 2008 23:24:42 Grigorios Bouzakis wrote:
>> Do you think its appropriate to provide all those applications as
>> binary for 2-3 people?
>
> I'm rather new to the whole Arch world, but I can offer the following:
>
> Your messages to this list about Sergej sound more like personal attacks than
> constructive criticism.  It seems to me that he's taken on a lot of
> responsibility here and your giving him grief over it won't help matters.
>ut maintaining packages for a small number of users
> fails to acknowledge that this is the very same behaviour as what you will find
> in the Linux kernel.  Modular design strategies lend themselves well to
> communities with diverse needs.  It seems to me that if the packages are used,
> accurate, and maintained, they should stay.

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Daniel <danstemporaryaccount at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> On Sunday 30 November
2008 23:24:42 Grigorios Bouzakis wrote:
>> Do you think its appropriate to provide all those applications as
>> binary for 2-3 people?
>
> I'm rather new to the whole Arch world, but I can offer the following:
>
> Your messages to this list about Sergej sound more like personal attacks than
> constructive criticism.  It seems to me that he's taken on a lot of
> responsibility here and your giving him grief over it won't help matters.

But many of sergej's packages aren't "used" and "maintained" (see the
previous mails) at all.

IMO:

I think we can start saving some space just with sergej, but also we
have packages "unpopular", without votes and with few use, then we can
go with our unpopular packages.

Also sergej wasn't present in our meetings, he seems to be a machine
like other ppl said, and to me is very unfair thinking about move
packages to unsupported when you are the main guilty about the waste
of space with packages with zero votes and non-popular. This is not an
attack sergej I also would like to say "I maintain -three digit
number- packages" someday but now being honestly why you, specially
you who have that big quantity of packages on community and you are
knowing the lack of resources, why you don't proposed to move your
pkgs which have a small use to unsupported (i think 20% of your
packages or more)?, as I said, starting just with sergej should be a
good start, if you need help identifying what packages we are talking
about I think we can do a list with some packages, then we can take
this action as an example for the rest of us (TU crew) to move some
stuff to unsupported. And please, i think now we should stop some
uploads about new packages to community, at least until we've saved
some space.

--
Angel Velásquez
angvp @ irc.freenode.net