[arch-general] x hotplugging probs

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Mon Dec 1 12:00:39 EST 2008

Johannes Held schrieb:
> David Rosenstrauch <darose at darose.net>:
>> Ah - figured it out:  evdev kernel module wasn't being automatically
>> loaded in my rc.conf.

The X server runs as root, so it should be capable of loading evdev
(although I think udev should autoload it).

>> Sorry for the noise.
> That's no noise!
> That could be my solution too. Atm, I disabled the automatic search via
> ServerFlags - just three seconds before I went mad.
>
> Perhaps I try it - but I think this hotplugging isn't that important for a
> desktop pc like mine.

I don't know for whom it would be important at all! I have a laptop, and
I never needed any input hotplugging:

1) With the kbd driver, all keyboards are picked up automatically. Okay,
they all have the same layout, but can you assign different layouts with
input hotplugging (if so, it might actually be useful).
2) I configured my touchpad with the synaptics driver.
3) For everything else, I have this generic mouse section:
Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier  "Mouse0"
         Driver      "mouse"
         Option      "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
         Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection
This picks up all my USB or bluetooth mice automatically when I connect
them (maybe ExplorerPS/2 is better so it will pick up extra buttons on
mice that have them). If you have serial or PS/2 mice, then hotplugging
is not for you anyway.

If anyone has a setup that he needed input hotplugging for, I'd be very
interested to hear, because I cannot think of one.