[arch-general] Solved: xorg-server 1.5 upgrade screen problem.

Javier Vasquez jevv.cr at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 09:52:43 EST 2008

On 12/3/08, Guus Snijders <gsnijders at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/12/3 Javier Vasquez <jevv.cr at gmail.com>:
>
> [ problem switching from X to console ]
> <big snip>
>
>> It took me a while, but I finally figured things up.  I don't
>> understand why I never needed this stuff before, but actually now I
>> got 1280x1024 at 75 in my console with terminus font v20b, looking nice,
>> and I can go back/forth from X...  Here are my settings:
>>
>> /etc/rc.conf
>> MODULES=(fuse r8169 slhc atyfb)
>>
>> /etc/modprobe.conf
>> options atyfb mode=1280x1024 at 75
>>
>> That's pretty much what solved things, :)
>
> Just making sure; the problem doesn't occur when you use the same
> resolution in X and console?
> In your first mail, you said you were using 1024x768 on the console
> and 1280x1024 in X.
>

> mvg,
>      Guus

The problem was not the resolution, I mentioned it because the console
and X were having different resolutions (that was the mode I worked
under for years), and when trying to switch to console the monitor
complained with out of sync...  I was using video modes when booting,
which in turns uses vesafb built in the kernel.

For some reason having vesafb before and using mach64 Xorg driver at
the same time, gave no trouble.  Now they just don't get along.  So
the solution was to remove the video mode boot parameters, which
prevents using vesa...

That lead to another problem, I didn't like the resolution, and
couldn't get workable fonts for it either.  So if the card supports
1280x1024, I figured atyfb, which I was loading all along, should be
able to provide such console resolution, and I found how to load atyfb
with desired resolution and frequency.  That worked out pretty well,
and I'm still able to switch from X and console back and forth...

So the vesa video modes are the ones no longer working, but properly
configuring the corresponding frame buffer module, did the trick for
me, and even improved the vesa modes (with vesa video modes I was
never able to get 1280x1024, just 1024x768 at the slowest frequency,
now with atyfb I'm getting 1280x1024 at the highest frequency
supported by the LCD)...

--
Javier