[arch-general] problems with ivman? hal? pmount?

Ryan Sims rwsims at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 23:56:28 EST 2008

I'm working on switching from KDE to openbox, and I'm playing around
with ivman automounting.  After reading the wiki page[1] & following
the instructions, I find that I still can't get USB devices to
automount as a user.  I can run ivman as a daemon, and it automounts
just fine, except that it creates the mount points as root:root, so I
can't access them.  If I run ivman as a user, nothing gets
automounted.

When I run ivman -d, or when I run a pmount-hal
'/path/listed/in/ivman/debug/output' I get a lot of these messages:
process 17673: The last reference on a connection was dropped without
closing the connection. This is a bug in an application. See
dbus_connection_unref() documentation for details.
Most likely, the application was supposed to call
dbus_connection_close(), since this is a private connection.
  D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace

Any help?

[1]http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ivman

PS. I've also been exploring automounting with udev, but I run into
the same permissions problem with pmount: users can't access the file.
 I would also welcome advice in this direction, if anyone's
interested.
--
Ryan W Sims