[arch-general] Xorg change and intel drivers make me sad.

Daniel Quinn danstemporaryaccount at yahoo.ca
Fri Dec 5 14:44:46 EST 2008

I'm not sure if the arch-general is the place to ask these kinds of questions,
so if it is not, please redirect me to where this is more appropriate.

The latest change to use Xorg-7.4 appears to have brought with it the
requirement that I switch from the old xf86-video-i810 video drivers to the
newer xf86-video-intel ones.  Unfortunately, this introduces a number of
serious for my Thnkpad (x41):

  Video (mplayer) in fullscreen is choppy and slow.  Complaints of my hardware
    being too slow etc.

  All of my compiz-effects have suffered crippling performance losses.

  If left alone for about 15min, the screen blanks and cannot be-activated.
    Switches to the console fail and the box is non-responsive on the network.
    Basically the whole machine locks up.

What is the "Arch way" out of this?  I heard that the new kernel that isn't in
the tree yet is supposed to fix this, and there's also the fact that the old
config worked just fine.  I'd like to go back, but I'm unsure as to how to do
so without running into this same problem when I run "pacman -Syu" again.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.