[arch-general] Offer help for our ISO building

Chris Brannon cmbrannon at cox.net
Fri Dec 5 20:50:03 EST 2008

"Aaron Griffin" <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 12:00 PM, Angel Velásquez <angvp at archlinux.com.ve> wrote:

>> What about support for accesibility people?, a friend (FlaPer87) and i
>> can help with some thoughts for accesibility stuff.
>
> Just tell me what needs to be done. Is it a simple matter of adding
> some packages to the ISO, or do certain things need to be run on
> startup as well?

The following applies to spoken output for the blind.  Not sure about
other sorts of accessibility.

Certain things need to be run on startup.  Sound should be unmuted, and
volume should be set to something reasonable.  Perhaps:
amixer set Master 80% unmute
amixer set PCM 80% unmute
We need a daemon and a couple of kernel modules.
The modules are speakup and speakup_soft, and the daemon is called
espeakup.

I have PKGBUILDs for these in unsupported:
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/speakup/speakup.tar.gz
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/espeakup/espeakup.tar.gz

The binary packages espeak and alsa-utils are used, and they bring in
several dependencies.

Most folks won't want speech at boot, so it should be optional.
Perhaps a script could examine /proc/cmdline and start speech if
the user supplied a certain argument to the bootloader?

-- Chris