[arch-general] Keyboard's keymap now changed since evdev upgrade

Will Siddall will.siddall at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 16:45:55 EST 2008

Hey all, I say I'm pretty comfortable with everything in arch now, but this
keyboard issue is starting to drive me nuts.  Not too long ago, the change
from using kbd to evdev was made and ever since then, my keyboard is all
messed up.  I can still use my keyboard, but specific keys are changed
around.

Looking around, everyone is refering to issues with KDEMod, but I'm using
Gnome and using the Evdev-Managed Keyboard.  I specified in my 10-keymap.fdi
rule file the proper settings and updated my xorg.conf with no change.

The real issue I have is my arrow keys don't work anymore (except for the up
arrow is giving me the ScreenCap window) and using xev, the keys are
bringing back keycodes for other events.  Which is making it REALLY hard to
work with vi and just working with the command line in general.

Am I actually going to have to re-key all my keycodes by hand?  or is there
a way to find out what's going on and properly set my key events?

Thanks,
Will