[arch-general] Xorg locks/crashes

Baho Utot baho-utot at columbus.rr.com
Tue Dec 23 12:12:08 EST 2008

I purchased a new larger hard drive to install ArchLinux.

Not wanting to erase the existing install from earlier this year.
I booted the 2008-03-1 boot disk and installed the basic install, rebooted.

Then ran pacman -Syy pacman -Su to install updates.  I then proceeded to
install alsa which when fine.

Then I did a pacman -S libgl xorg mesa xf86-video-ati.
then Xorg -configure followed by X -config /root/xorg.conf.new.
X started and gave me the X cursor.

The keyboard and mouse are not responsive and I can not kill X with the
<Backspace> trick.
ALT+F1...F8 does nothing.  I had to Press the "Microsoft Windows button" to
gain control of the system.

I know this is not a hardware problem as the previous Arch install runs fine
with KDEMOD.

Has any one experienced this?

Any one with some pointers/Help?