[arch-general] KDE 4.2 and AUR Upgrading

Leonid Grinberg lgrinberg at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 13:12:00 EST 2008

Hello,

I am currently running a vanilla KDE 4.1.3. There are a number of
problems that I am having, all of which, I am told, are fixed in 4.2
None of the problems are incredibly serious, but they are annoying
enough that I am considering upgrading to 4.2. I thus have a few
questions:

1) Once 4.2 is released, how soon is it reasonable to expect that it
will be in the repositories (not AUR).

2) If one installs a package from AUR, and then it is moved to the
main repositories, does Pacman know that the two packages are the
same? I am interested in this with regards both to this question and
to others -- e.g. the main repositories currently have Amarok 1.4
while AUR has 2.0. I am wary of installing it from  AUR because when
it is moved to the main repositories, I don't know if Pacman will know
how to handle the upgrade.

Thanks in advance!
Leonid Grinberg