[arch-general] x264, mplayer, ffmpeg rebuild?

Markus Heuser mheuser at mi.fu-berlin.de
Sun Dec 28 18:51:04 EST 2008

Hi,

> Making a binary mplayer package is very difficult and the result can't be
> perfect for everybody because you have to make choices about what will be
> enabled in it (and add deps) and what will not (but some users might want
> it). It's the prototype of the package that should stay source-based if
> possible.

Well my main issue wasn't so much about an up-to-date, "bloated" or modified
mplayer package but a bump of the x264 package wich is like half a year old if
I interpret the versioning scheme right.

I just wanted to show that there are some showstoppers in the way if we want
to provide an up to date x264. I'm perfectly fine with the mplayer version from
the repos but I don't think that the PKGBUILD can be reused for the latest
available mplayer sources if it is configured with x264 support (as it is the
case now) because of the rewrite in the mplayer/ffmpeg code.

So I'm not asking for new features and stuff but if future mplayer packages
should be built against an updated x264 package and provide the same
functionality as todays version, the configure flags might need to be adapted as
pointed out by the forums thread.

I'm sure that Hugo makes the right coices and would be able to find (better)
solution for this on his own, but nevertheless giving the forum thread and my
mail a read could perhaps save a bit of time ;)
If there is a possibility to "recycle" the now used PKGBUILD I definitely won't
complain about it.

Greets,
Markus