[arch-general] Slow startup of mc

Gerhard Brauer gerhard.brauer at web.de
Mon Dec 29 06:55:32 EST 2008

Am Mon, 29 Dec 2008 14:44:15 +0300
schrieb Sergej Pupykin <pupykin.s at gmail.com>:

> It is bug-feature I think.
> As I understand it is dns resolving problem.
> mc try to resolve local ips. You may put it into /etc/hosts
>
> 127.0.0.1            localhost.localdomain    localhost
> 192.168.1.2        myhostname

Yeah, i always saw this on unusual installed DNS environments. Mostly
the time when the machine hostname could not be solved by local DNS,
either from an real DNS-Server or via /etc/hosts.
So for dhcp-based IP-setting (and the crappy router/box don't resolve
the hostname when the lease is provided) i would assume to put the
hostname as an alias on the localhost line in /etc/hosts.

Ideally there would be a command line parameter to disable all network
related checking for mc...

Gerhard