[arch-general] Scanner only works as root

Renan Birck renan.dream at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 19:05:28 EST 2008

Hello,

I have an HP Photosmart C3180 all-in-one (printer/scanner/copier).
Installed cups, hplip, sane.

Printing works. Scanning, however, only works as root, otherwise xsane
says that there are no devices.

But if I chmod 777 -R /dev/bus/usb/* it works for my current user;
therefore I deduce it is a permission problem. This looks like an udev
problem, however my udev knowledge is next to null.

What steps could I take to solve this problem? I would like to get rid
of this ugly hack.

Thanks.
--
Renan Birck ~ Canoas, RS, Brasil

"Quando tudo que você tem é um martelo, todos os seus problemas
  se parecem com os seus dedões."