[arch-general] Jacman. Problem installing packages (don't panic)

w9ya at qrparci.net w9ya at qrparci.net
Thu Feb 7 18:21:39 EST 2008

Comments below !!:

> On Wednesday 06 February 2008 20:24, Xavier wrote:
>> w9ya at qrparci.net wrote:
>> > Hey Nigel and the gang;
>> >
>> > Well, I *think* that unless someone wants to re-write and maintain
>> jacman, you would be best advised to not use it.
>> >
>> > I would suggest 'yaourt' as a replacement. It works very nicely here
>> for what I need out of such a program, and it is being actively
>> maintained as pacman evolves.
>> >
>> > Very best regards;
>> >
>> > Bob Finch
>> >
>> > P.S.. Jacman is a great idea, so *IF* someone brings it up to date,
>> I am sure it would be VERY popular.
>>
>> Apparently, its developer was interested in updating it, but it was
>> supposed to come "any day now", and that was 6 months ago :
>> http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=272848#p272848
>>
>> There has been 2 major pacman upgrades since last jacman release in
>> Dec 2006 (3.0 and 3.1) :p
>> So probably help is welcome indeed.
>
> As the OP, I'm impressed by the replies. I originally posted the Q to
> the  forum, with the reply saying "upgrade jacman". That was not a lot
> of use, to  say the least.
>
> I use apt, and synaptic (the gui for apt) on fedora, and debian, and
> synaptic  works ok. I admit that mostly I use the CLI, but just to see
> which packages  are available I use synaptic, and sometimes install
> packages with it. I  prefer to install from the CLI because I can save
> the install history, and  can see what was done, and when.

Well yaourt, which I recommended can do searches of what is available like
this:

yaourt cpp (for instance)

And anything that matches will be offered, and you can select what you
want installed by number. Further it can do the compilation of PKGBUILDs
that have no matching binaries. <- That's was probably the reason I first
suggested it to you.

If you have not yet installed it Nigel, you REALLY ought to consider it.

Very best regards;

Bob Finch

P.S... I also use the AUR web site to do searches too, but that's another
story.