[arch-general] get pid of daemon in init script

Sentinel kanocz at intrak.sk
Fri Feb 8 15:24:07 EST 2008

yes you are right.

root at sentinel:/home/sentinel# /etc/rc.d/proftpd stop
:: Stopping ProFTPd Server
[DONE]
root at sentinel:/home/sentinel# PID=`pidof -o %PPID -x /usr/sbin/proftpd`
root at sentinel:/home/sentinel# echo $PID

root at sentinel:/home/sentinel#

Sorry, I made a mistake. I usually do not have my ftp server running.
But I forgot, that I was moving something between my computer and laptop. :)

Btw proftpd's init script does the same. The proftpd.pid file is empty.