[arch-general] SSH. Can't open Xapps when su'ed to root

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Sun Feb 10 13:36:46 EST 2008

I'm still looking at the jacman problem, and have sometimes found that apps
that won't work on the machine they are installed on, will work if I ssh into
the machine, and run them on another.

IIRC I had problems initially using ssh when I installed Archlinux (don't
panic), but found some info somewhere or other, as below.

Comment out "ALL: ALL: DENY" line in /etc/hosts/deny
Add sshd to /etc/rc.conf daemons list
Run /etc/rc.d/sshd start

Now I can ssh into archlinux (this is just local, not from the Internet). I
have uncommented the following lines in /etc/ssh/sshd_config

X11Forwarding yes
X11DisplayOffset 10

I can open Xapps as user (gedit, jacman,etc), but not when I su to root, as
below for gedit.

[djmons at myhost ~]$ su
Password:
[root at myhost djmons]# gedit
cannot open display:
Run 'gedit --help' to see a full list of available command line options.
[root at myhost djmons]#

Same goes when I try to open jacman when su'ed to root.

I tried accessing Xapps as root with Fedora 8, which is on the same machine as
Archlinux, and they open ok.

I have compared the sshd_config on both F8, and Archlinux, and can't see any
apparent differences between the two.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what may be the problem?

All a bit puzzling.

Nigel.