[arch-general] [arch-announce] Kernel 2.6.24.1 in Core

Karolina Lindqvist karolina.lindqvist at kramnet.se
Sun Feb 10 17:23:20 EST 2008

söndag 10 februari 2008 skrev Roman Kyrylych:
> After a testing phase kernel 2.6.24.1 has been moved to Core where it
> replaces version 2.6.23.14.

It still crashes at boot. I have investigated a little bit further.

Init comes to "Loading udev uevents"
Then it crashes, with a register printout and stack trace,
from process "udevtrigger" and
says that it cannot find the /boot partition (on /dev/hda1),
and comes into a kind of crippled single-user mode.
Crippled, since the disk devices /hda1-3 are not populated in /dev

I have written down the stack trace, and every symbol is a kernel symbol, and
not from udevtrigger, so it is a kind of partial kernel panic, but without
panic, even though the system becomes unusable.
EIP=sysfs_open_file+0x33/0x1a0

Under some conditions it does not crash, but then I find that my sound device
is somehow not existing. It does not exist even in lspci anymore, which is
strange, since should not every device, even unsupported, be listed by lspci?
The device that does not exist anymore is: (from lspci)
00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237
AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)
I don't know if that means that everyone with that VIA chip will get the same
problem.

So for me it is back to kernel 2.6.23.14