[arch-general] Packages without license field in official repos

Xavi Soler xavi at interrupciones.net
Fri Feb 22 11:50:34 EST 2008

My intention is to know the number of non-free packages installed on my
system. In Debian I can use 'vrms' [1]. I think Arch has nothing similar, but
I can start programming an application like 'vrms' (maybe using libalpm or
calling pacman directly).

My first test has been typing:

$ pacman -Q | pacman -Qi | less

and reading carefully the license fields: most (BSDs and MITs specially)
say 'custom'. The big problem I've found is that, quite often, I read the
word 'none' there, but I can't understant how can it happen in packages
stored in official repos. There are a lot of packages without license field.

I could do a heavy research to know which packages include a license field and
which don't, and then warn their mantainers. But it would be a waste of time.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vrms

--

Blog: http://interrupciones.net