[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] [signoff] udev 118-2

Michal Soltys soltys at ziu.info
Fri Feb 22 17:51:50 EST 2008

Aaron Griffin wrote:

> If I modprobe blah, it doesn't know which to do. So, blacklisting
> "bar" tells modprobe ONLY to ignore the aliases exposed by bar. I can
> still modprobe bar by a non-alias name, and I can still load bar as a
> dependent module.

Well, from udev perspective, modprobe by nonalias name is not an issue (or
is it ?).

About module dependency though - good point, I missed that :(

As for your #3 idea, you can store that blacklist file in i.e.
/dev/.udev/blacklist, which you can remove later, after udev processing.

Also, rc.sysinit script you could add extra trigger pass for failed events, i.e.

if [ -d /dev/.udev/failed ]; then
	udevadm trigger --retry-failed
	udevadm settle
fi

(although conditional is not really necessary)

I often have some failed ones, which can be easily retriggered this way.
Some other distros do that in their initscripts as well.

> Let's solve one problem at a time here. Dan brought up the rules issue
> months ago. As it stands it hurts no one and is not the issues I am
> attempting to solve.

fair enough :)

Cheers

(hope I helped tiny bit ;)