[arch-general] forcing speed/duplex on Intel e1000 driver

Chuck Remes cremes.devlist at mac.com
Sun Jan 6 18:14:17 EST 2008

A service provider has forced all of their switch ports to 100/full. I
need to do the same on a box running archlinux x86_64 w/kernel 2.6.22-
ARCH and the Intel e1000 driver.

I edited /etc/modprobe.conf to contain these lines:

e1000 Speed=100,100,100,100
e1000 Duplex=2,2,2,2

However, the messages in /var/log/kernel.log indicate the interfaces
are still coming up as 100/half which implies they are still
attempting to autonegotiate and failing therefore defaulting to 100
(which can be sensed) and half-duplex (which can't be sensed, so this
is the default).

What's the best way to force the driver into 100/full on boot?