[arch-general] forcing speed/duplex on Intel e1000 driver

Jesse Young jesse.young at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 18:46:33 EST 2008

On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 17:14:17 -0600, Chuck Remes wrote:
> A service provider has forced all of their switch ports to 100/full. I need
> to do the same on a box running archlinux x86_64 w/kernel 2.6.22-ARCH and
> the Intel e1000 driver.
>
> I edited /etc/modprobe.conf to contain these lines:
>
> e1000 Speed=100,100,100,100
> e1000 Duplex=2,2,2,2
>
> However, the messages in /var/log/kernel.log indicate the interfaces are
> still coming up as 100/half which implies they are still attempting to
> autonegotiate and failing therefore defaulting to 100 (which can be sensed)
> and half-duplex (which can't be sensed, so this is the default).
>
> What's the best way to force the driver into 100/full on boot?

I have a similar situation at school, except I'm forced to 10/full :(
I use ethtool in /etc/rc.local. This may or may not work for you,
depending if you can successfully DHCP at 100/half. In this case add the
ethtool line in /etc/rc.d/network before you attempt to DHCP.

ethtool -s INTERFACE  speed 100 duplex full autoneg off

Jesse