[arch-general] KDE4 Anyone?

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Sun Jan 20 00:52:00 EST 2008

On 20 Jan 2008 09:26, RedShift wrote:
> > So have anyone got up and running with KDE4 on Arch? I know about kdemod
> > testing, but they miss some dependencies (tapioca-qt, strigi...), so to
> > do those by hand i'd prefer to do all myself :-P

Aparently waiting on pacman 3.1.1, in a few days, to sort
out some dependency issues. Keep an eye on this thread...

 http://www.kdemod.ath.cx/bbs/viewtopic.php?id=406&action=new

> > Also, any ideas on when we'll get KDE4 on extra or even testing?
>
> IMO KDE 4 is all but ready for production, from what I've heard even the
> KDE developpers suggest waiting untill at least KDE 4.1 for it to be
> actually usable.

It's usable to varying degrees right now and a lot of folks
are just keen to try it out. I've got a Kubuntu laptop and
even just using their KDE4 packages on top of 3.5.8 KWin
(without the plasma desktop) is a worthwhile experience.

--markc