[arch-general] Does pacman support "noarch" now?

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 08:23:50 EST 2008

2008/1/23, Mark Constable <markc at renta.net>:
> On 23 Jan 2008 19:46, Roman Kyrylych wrote:
> > It's not yet implemented on a server side. I'm working
> > on it (though not as fast as I'd wish). You can get more
> > information about this on arch-dev-public archives.
>
> I skimmed the subjects back to November and found some
> references to pacman 3.1.0 and then 3.1.1 but they were
> all mainly signoffs and no info or discussion about how
> to use arch=('any') (that I could find after an hour).

> I've read through the man pages for pacman, libalpm,
> pacman.conf, makepkg and the README in the src so any
> clues from anyone how to use arch=('any') would be
> appreciated.

Things that work now:
* makepkg support to understand arch=('any') and build a package correctly
* repo-add/repo-remove work too, so you can create a db with them and
test how pacman installs those packages.
* pacman should pring 'Architecture: any' on -Si/-Qi
Note that repo-add/repo-remove and pacman didn't require a single
change to support '-any' packages, that's because they don't care
about packages' architecture.

Packages produced from PKGBUILD with arch=('any') are _excactly_ same
when built on either i686 or x86_64 or even unofficial 'i586' and
'ppc' (when built with makepkg >= 3.0).
(They can differ only by build timestamp)

Right now, '-any' packages cannot be used in AUR and official repos yet.
You may use them for your own local repo for arch-independent packages
if you have both i686 and x86_64 installed.
Be sure to add '-any' to both i686 and x86_64 localrepo.db.tar.gz
files when updating your repo db.

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)