[arch-general] Repo Filename Search?

Kevin Monceaux Kevin at RawFedDogs.net
Fri Jan 25 10:01:28 EST 2008

DR,

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008, David Rosenstrauch wrote:

> If you're trying to search through your *installed* packages to find out
> which package owns a particular file on disk, you can use:
>
> pacman -Qo /the/file/name

No, I was trying to search for packages that hadn't been installed yet
that provided particular files.  One program I was looking for, for
example, was pdflatex.  I'm currently running CRUX but considering
switching to Arch.  I'm running Arch under VMware right now.  On CRUX, one
can:

# prt-get fsearch pdflatex

and it will list all packages that include pdflatex.  That's one bit of
functionality I'd miss if I switch from CRUX to Arch.  So far on Arch I've
found pdflatex in extra/tetex and aur/community/texlive-bin, after some
trial and error.  The google site:www.archlinux.org/packages/files search
trick posted earlier should have at least found pdflatex in the tetex
package's file list but didn't.  Are there no file lists for the packages
in AUR?

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net
http://www.WacoAgilityGroup.org