[arch-general] Java applets in Arch64

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Sat Jan 26 04:38:35 EST 2008

Am Thu, 24 Jan 2008 23:46:02 +0100
schrieb Ondřej Kučera <ondrej.kucera at centrum.cz>:

> Hello,
>
> I need to be able to use java applets on my Arch64 box. From what I
> found on the wiki (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch64_FAQ) it
> should work out of the box in Konqueror but unfortunately it isn't the
> case for me.
>
> I tried the following two pages containing applets, neither seems to
> work.
> http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/deployment/applet/getStarted.html
> http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/
>
> I do have the java packages (both jre and jdk), I have java enabled in
> Konqueror, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to do something else.
>
> Truth to be told the best solution would be to have applets working in
> Firefox since since I need them working in an intranet web application
> that is not exactly 100% compatible with Konqueror, I'm afraid. Is
> there a working solution for Firefox?

gcc-gcj provides a java environment and an alpha state plugin. the
plugin already works in _some_ cases. java at all works quiet well.
we use it to build and run OpenOffice.org, Azureus and some more
packages.

you can try if the plugin fits your needs by installing the
java-gcj-compat package.

-AndyRTR