[arch-general] New User(sort of) and a packaging question

Travis Willard travis at archlinux.org
Mon Jan 28 11:54:26 EST 2008

On Jan 28, 2008 11:46 AM, Kevin Monceaux <Kevin at rawfeddogs.net> wrote:
> I found a few mentions of namcap on the wiki.  I tried it on the package I
> created, which I don't currently have any dependencies listed in, and the
> only problems it reports are missing maintainer and CVS id tags.  It
> mentions nothing about the missing dependencies.  By the way, What does
> the name namcap stand for?

namcap will find dependencies only when run on a built package - it
can't analyse a PKGBUILD and discover deps for you.

Build the package, then run namcap
/path/to/pkgname-pkgver-pkgrel.pkg.tar.gz and it'll tell you.  If you
can't even build the package because of missing deps on your system,
then check out the project's documentation - they're usually pretty
good about telling you what you need.