[arch-general] New User(sort of) and a packaging question

Kevin Monceaux Kevin at RawFedDogs.net
Mon Jan 28 14:17:33 EST 2008

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Travis Willard wrote:

> I think namcap ignores dependencies in the 'base' group, since
> everyone is expected to have base installed, maybe?  I'm not 100% sure
> of its internals in this sense.

That sounds like a reasonable possibility.  To get an idea of whether
it's more common to explicitly list base dependencies or leave them out I
checked a couple of other packages that depend on ncurses.
extra/editors/vim and aur/unsupported/alpine both depend on ncurses but
don't have ncurses listed as a dependency.  extra/network/irssi and
extra/network/mutt, on the other hand, explicitly list ncurses as a
dependency.  So, it looks like there's a mixture in both official and aur
based packages.

> I'd say leave them in - they're clearly needed.

I looked through the Arch Packaging Standards page and didn't really get a
clear impression on which is the preferred method, but I might have missed
something.  So, unless I hear otherwise, I'll explicitly list them.

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net
http://www.WacoAgilityGroup.org
Bruceville, TX