[arch-general] New User(sort of) and a packaging question

Jason Chu jason at archlinux.org
Tue Jan 29 11:22:49 EST 2008

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 07:55:26AM -0600, Kevin Monceaux wrote:
> Jason,
>
> On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Jason Chu wrote:
>
>> Being the guy who wrote namcap, I'm pretty sure it doesn't do this at all.
>>
>> Can I get a copy of the PKGBUILD to test with?  It sounds like it should be
>> detecting these...
>
> I sent you a private e-mail with the PKGBUILD attached.

Ok, after building the PKGBUILD and running namcap on it, I got these
messages:

[jchu at wingnut a]$ namcap c3270-3.3.7p1-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz
c3270      W: Dependency included but already satisfied (ncurses)
c3270      W: Dependency included but already satisfied (readline)

The depends line looks like this:

depends=('ncurses' 'openssl' 'readline')

Notice how openssl isn't listed by namcap as already satisfied?  If you
follow the dependency tree, you'll find that ncurses and readline and
covered by a dependency on openssl (openssl -> glibc -> bash -> readline ->
ncurses).

Namcap tries to give you the smallest subset of dependencies that your
package needs.

Now, there was a proposal to change the functionality.  To list all of the
packages that your package directly depends on.  This will eventually
happen, but that's not how it works right now.

In conclusion, there is nothing in namcap about ignoring dependencies in
the base group.

Jason